Last week I FINALLY got my new tattoo last Friday!!!! While I was having it done Dillon did the grocery shopping for me. Needless to say I found all week that I was out of things I shouldn’t have been lol. I can’t really blame him… he stuck….. and I mean literally stuck… to my list. Anything I forgot to add didn’t make it into the cart. One of those things being the buns I usually get to make sandwiches for Dillon’s lunch with. That meant pulling the KitchenAid out and making my own!
Yes homemade taste so much better… not to mention the smell coming from the kitchen when you are baking them… but some weeks (most weeks) it is just way easier to buy them. And yes I do know that is very, very lazy!
Here are the ingredients I use to make these buns. All stuff you probably have at home on a regular basis!
To start I added the flour, sugar, salt and yeast to the bowl of the stand mixer and gave it a quick whisking to combine it.
In my large measuring cup I added the milk, water and butter/margarine, and put it in the microwave for about 90 seconds until it was warm.
I added this mixture, and the egg, to the bowl of the stand mixer with the flour mixture and mixed it using the bread attachment until it formed a nice smooth dough.
Knead for about 5 minutes and then I shaped them into buns.
I let them rise for about an hour, until they were doubled in size. (The only thing I did different than if I were making hamburger buns was to put them in a 9 x 13 baking pan instead of spreading them out on baking sheets to maintain the round/hamburger shape)
Then baked them at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes…. nice, freshly baked sandwich buns!!!
Homemade Hamburger/Sandwich Buns
- 1/4 cup butter/margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. yeast
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, add flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Whisk a few times to combine.
- In large measuring cup or bowl, add milk, water and butter/margarine.
- Microwave on high heat for about 90 seconds until butter/margarine is melted and mixture is warm.
- Add milk mixture to bowl of stand mixer with flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Add egg and continue mixing until smooth dough forms.
- Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Shape into buns and place in prepared baking pan.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes until nicely browned on top and cooked through.