These are similar to gingerbread a bit… and the smell of them baking in the oven makes the whole house smell like a bakery. I swear I had Dillon drooling in front of the oven door, waiting for them to be done so he could snag a few lol!
They are perfectly spiced and rolled in sugar before baking. When they first come out of the oven they are soft and chewy and oh so delicious and when cooled crisp up a bit… with the same great flavour!
Here are all the ingredients I used to make them.
In the bowl of my stand mixer, I creamed the butter/margarine for about 3 minutes, until fluffy before adding both sugars, molasses, vanilla and egg and mixing until well blended.
The I added the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
And mixed it until it was fully incorporated.
I filled a small bowl with 1 cup sugar.
I rolled the cookie dough into balls, about 1″, and then rolled them through the sugar.
I placed them on my prepared baking sheets….
And baked them at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes until browned but still a little bit soft in the centre.
I let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then removed them to a plate.
Molasses Spice Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter/margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat the butter until soft and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add both sugars, molasses, vanilla and egg.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until well combined.
- Place the 1 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into balls.
- Roll balls through sugar in bowl to evenly coat them.
- Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes until browned but still a little soft in the middle.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to plate.