When you are short on time and need a quick dessert, mug cakes can be a life saver. Mixed up quickly and “baked” in the microwave, you can have a warm dessert in less than 5 minutes and keep the masses happy!
To start, I added the flour, sugar, baking powder and 1 tsp. cinnamon to a medium sized bowl and then whisked it together.
In another small bowl, I used a fork to mix together the first amount of butter/ margarine,first amount of flour, brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, mixing until crumbly.
At this point you could stop and continue with the recipe when it is time for dessert if you are planning ahead.
Next I mixed together the milk, melted second amount of butter/ margarine and the vanilla, and added it to the flour/sugar mixture… whisking until combined.
Once whisked, I divided it between 2 big mugs, sprinkled the brown sugar mixture on top and then microwaved it on high heat for 3 minutes, leaving it to cool a bit in the microwave for another 5 minutes.
This would be great served with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream… but I was out this time!
Microwave Coffee Cake Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. butter/margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In medium bowl, whisk together the 1 1/4 cups flour, white sugar, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, combine the first amount of butter/ margarine, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix together milk, melted butter/margarine and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to first flour mixture and whisk until combined.
- Divide this mixture between 2 large mugs.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar/flour mixture.
- Microwave on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool in microwave for about 5 minutes and then serve… optional…. with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.