I am SO far behind in typing posts!!! I have been working in our laundry room and it’s been taking a lot of time but I have put it off long enough and it needs to be finished. I don’t know how I’ve lived with it for this long… it is dark and dreary and while I don’t actually spend a lot of time in there, it doesn’t mean I can’t pretty it up a little bit. Hopefully I catch up soon.. until then, here is the last post from my granddaughter’s first birthday!
I wanted to make a smash cake for her but I also didn’t want to making something so sweet she was going to get sick from it. I opted for healthier version and used a lightly tinted Greek yogurt as icing. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how well the yogurt held up when used as icing. Add some Bristol board “ears,” and some flower shaped Puff Puff treats and we had our cute little smash cake!
My granddaughter didn’t actually eat the cake… or even smash it for that matter lol. The poor little munchkin had been up a lot the night before cutting more teeth and was not impressed with the cake at all. Not a big deal, she will have pictures of it in her album and know her grandma made her a cool smash cake for her first birthday!
To start the cake, I mashed the bananas in a large bowl with my hand mixer with the apple sauce until it was mostly smooth, then added the egg, milk and vanilla.
When those ingredients were fully incorporated, I added the remaining ingredients…
Mixing until it was smooth and there were no lumps, then poured it into my greased 6 inch spring form pan.
I baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I let it fully cool before icing it with a lightly tinted Greek yogurt and added the Bristol board “ears” and some “Puff Puff” baby treats for decorations! And we had a cute little Minnie Mouse themed smash cake for the First Birthday party!
“Good for You” Baby Minnie Mouse Smash Cake
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup applesauce, I used blueberry applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 – 500 ml tub Greek Yogurt
- Baby “Puff Puff” treats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 6 inch spring form baking pan.
- In large bowl, mash bananas with apple sauce until smooth.
- Add egg, vanilla and milk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.\
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Allow to fully cool before “icing” cake with Greek yogurt and decorate with Puff Puffs.