Last week I wanted to do something different with the zucchini I bought to have with dinner one night. Zucchini boats seemed like a great idea. Both Chris and Dillon love zucchini, whether it be in bread, grilled or whatever so keeping it interesting means making it in different ways.
This one is a favourite! This time I served it up with some rice and homemade meatballs!
Here are my ingredients to make the Zucchini Boats.
The first thing I did was to wash the zucchini before cutting them in half lengthwise, and scooping out the insides, leaving just the skin and a bit of the insides and placed them in my parchment paper lined baking pan.
I brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper before moving on to the next step.
For the next step, I mixed the remaining ingredients with what was scooped out of the zucchini halves (which I chopped up into smaller pieces), except for about 1/2 cup of the grated cheese.
I divided this mixture between all of the “boats….”
And then sprinkled them with the remaining grated cheese, divided evenly between them.
And baked them in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for about 25 – 30 minutes, until the tops were browned.
And that was it! A delicious, mostly good for you side dish!
- 2 Zucchinis
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan big enough to hold the 4 halves with parchment paper.
- Wash the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise before scooping out the insides.
- Brush the zucchini boats with olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Chop the zucchini that was scooped out of the halves and mix it together with the onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- Spoon this mixture into the zucchini boats/halves, dividing evenly between all four.
- Sprinkled the remaining cheese over the filled zucchini boats.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.