Once again this past week I was behind schedule when it came time to making dinner. “The Boys” are so used to having homemade (the majority of the time anyway) bread with their dinner. Well, this night I hadn’t planned ahead enough to make a yeast bread. Luckily I had this recipe to fall back on.
I have been making this recipe for 20+ years now. I found it way back then in a cheese mini cookbook I got in the mail from somewhere. I don’t recall who sent out the mailing but I had used that recipe so many times it was starting to fall apart and I had to rewrite it on a piece of paper to save it!
This bread is quick to mix up and takes less than an hour from start to finish!
Here are the ingredients I use to make this bread.
To start, I added the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, sugar and dill to the bowl of my stand mixer and gave it a quick blend.
I added the butter/ margarine to the milk in a small, microwave safe bowl, and microwaved it on high heat for one minute…. just enough for the butter to melt and be mixed into the milk. Then I mixed in the grated cheese.
I added this mixture to the flour and other ingredients in the bowl and mixed until it was just blended.
I spooned the batter into my parchment paper lined loaf pan, spreading it evenly in the pan.
And baked it at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, until the top was browned and a cake tester/toothpick inserted came out clean.
Then sliced it and served it alongside the Mexican Lasagna Rolls I had frozen for a quick meal.
Cheese Quick Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dill weed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter/ margarine
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, garlic powder and dill weed and give it a quick mix.
- Add grated cheese and mix to coat cheese in the flour mixture.
- In small microwave safe bowl, add butter/ margarine and milk and cook on high heat for about 1 minutes until the butter/ margarine can be stirred into the milk.
- Add milk and egg to flour mixture and mix until just blended.
- Scoop batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 55 minutes, until top is browned and cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.