I saw something like this on Facebook when I was looking around one day. I wish I had saved the link so that I could share where the recipe originated but I didn’t even think about it at the time so I had to wing it when I tried it the other day.
What we ended up with was a wonderfully smelling, and tasting, dessert. I thought it would end up more like a cake… or a monkey bread sort of dessert, but the cubes of cinnamon rolls stayed separated and I just ended up spooning it on the plates when serving. No matter how it looked, the taste more than made up for it!
Here are the ingredients I used to make this dessert.
The first thing I did was to wash, peel, core and dice the apples and place them in a microwave safe bowl with the first amount of brown sugar, cinnamon and water, mixing to combine.
I wrapped the bowl in plastic wrap and cooked the apples on high heat for about 3 minutes, until they started to soften.
I cut up the cinnamon rolls into small cubes and placed them in my well greased 9 ” round baking pan.
I spooned the apples on top of the cubed cinnamon rolls.
In a small microwave safe bowl, I melted the butter/ margarine….
And then poured this mixture over top of the apples and cinnamon roll cubes.
I baked it uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until the edges were browned and it was cooked through.
I placed the icing that came with the cinnamon rolls in a small bowl and microwaved it on high heat for about 30 seconds, so it was runny enough to drizzle over the cinnamon rolls/apples.
Then served it still nice and warm and fragrant on small plates. This would also be awesome topped with some vanilla ice cream!
Apple Cinnamon Dessert
- 1 tube cinnamon rolls w/icing
- 3 or 4 apples
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter/ margarine
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9 ” round baking pan.
- Wash, peel core and dice apples.
- Add first amount of brown sugar, water and cinnamon to apples. Mix well.
- Cover bowl in plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 3 minutes, until apples start to soften.
- Chop cinnamon rolls into small cubes and place in prepared baking pan.
- Spoon apples over cinnamon roll cubes in baking pan.
- In small microwave safe bowl, melt butter/margarine.
- Add second amount of brown sugar and whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over apples and cinnamon roll cubes in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until edges start to brown and it is cooked through.
- Place icing that came with cinnamon rolls in small bowl and microwave on high heat for about 30 seconds, until runny.
- Drizzle icing over top of cinnamon rolls.
- Serve warm on plates with vanilla ice cream (optional)