I was making some kick ass pork chops the other night for dinner and was trying to decide what I wanted to make with them. We had already done air fryer fries, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, boiled potatoes and so on over the past few weeks so I wanted to change it up a bit.
I finally decided on Potato Skins because we hadn’t had them in ages and they are always a great choice. The fact they are so easy to make is just a bonus in my books!
Here are my ingredients… pretty basic stuff… but they come together deliciously in these potato skins.
I “baked” the potatoes first… although I did it in the microwave. This is easy to do. Scrub the potatoes and then pierce the skin with the paring knife a few times each side. Microwave on high heat until potatoes are tender. These potatoes took about 10 minutes.
Once “baked,” I cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then scooped out the middles, placing them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
I brushed the insides with olive oil and then sprinkled them with garlic powder. I used about a half teaspoon in each half and just sprinkled the garlic powder on by hand.
I put them in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes to start.
Once the 15 minutes was up I sprinkled each half with diced onion, bacon bits and then the grated cheese.
I returned them to the oven for another 10 minutes, when the cheese was melted and starting to crisp up. I removed them from the oven, divvied them up and served them with sour cream sprinkled with dill weed!
Potato Skins at Home
- 5 or 6 medium large potatoes
- 5 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 2 cups grated cheese
- sour cream and dill weed, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub potatoes and pierce skin with paring knife.
- “Bake” potatoes either in microwave or oven.
- Allow to cool slightly to make them easier to handle.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out insides.
- Brush potato halves with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with onion and bacon bits.
- Divide grated cheese between each half evenly.
- Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted and starting to crisp.
- Remove from oven and serve with sour cream sprinkled with dill to dip the potato skins in.