A week or two ago I decided to buy an embroidery pattern to make my granddaughter a little nerd dress.
I found a cute baby “Wonder Woman” pattern on Etsy and I still had enough Marvel fabric to make a skirt for the dress. I found a free download pattern for a dress bodice, and used a big rectangle for the skirt.
And the Baby “Nerd” dress was born lol….
Here is the bodice pattern I found online.
I cut the bodice out of some white broadcloth and then embroidered the Wonder Woman pattern on the the front.
I sewed the bodice front and lining at the shoulder seams on both.
And then sewed the front to the back leaving the back open so I could add a tie closure, right sides together and clipped the curves before turning it right side out.
Next I pressed the seams flat and pinned around the neckline so I could top stitch it.
Now it was time for the tie closure.
I used a nice piece of blue ribbon. I pinned the back opening with right sides together with the ribbon pinned where I wanted it, sewed the seam, then pressed it before turning it right side out.
Next I hemmed the Marvel fabric and sewed it together to form a “tube.”
I ran a row of stitches (on the setting with the longest stitch length) all the way around on the top of the skirt to gather it.
I pressed the bodice bottom under about a half inch and then pinned the skirt in place to only the front of the bodice, not the lining.
Once the skirt was sewn on I pinned the lining to the skirt to cover the seam and hand stitched it in place.
And now my granddaughter is all ready for the next free Comic Book day in occasion appropriate outfit lol!
(It didn’t matter how I hung the dress the bottom looked crooked even though it really wasn’t… maybe just because of the gathers)