The other day it was too hot to have the oven on and too hot to stand on the back deck to BBQ…. so… enter Instapot. What a great tool for days like these. While it might be the same as a nice BBQed steak it is still very tasty and quick and easy to prepare!
Here are my ingredients. Items you surely have on hand already!
To start, I set my Instapot to the Saute function and let it, and the olive oil heat up.
I cut the chicken breasts into strips and placed them in a large baggie with 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper, shaking to coat the chicken pieces.
I sauteed them for about 5 minutes before removing them from the Instapot.
Next I added the peppers, green onion and garlic to the pot with a little bit more olive oil. I sauteed them for about 3 minutes then added the chicken broth, scraping the bottom while still on the Saute function to get all the good stuff stuck to the bottom.
I added the rice, another 2 tbsp. of Cajun seasoning, 1 tbsp. oregano, tomato soup and the rice, stirring to combine.
I placed the chicken pieces back in the Instapot, on top of the rice and veggies and switched the Instapot to the Pressure Cook function.
I cooked it for 8 minutes, and then let it naturally release for about 10 – 15 minutes.
I turned the Instapot off, shredded the chicken a bit and then mixed it in before serving.
Cajun Chicken & Rice – Instapot
- 2 – 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pepper, I used an orange one
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato soup, no water added
- 2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- Heat oil in Instapot on Saute function.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and place them in large baggie with first amount of Cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper and shake well to coat.
- Saute chicken pieces for about 5 minutes then remove from pot.
- Add peppers, green onion and minced garlic (and extra olive oil if needed) and saute for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and while still on Saute function, scrape bottom to get all the good stuff.
- Add tomato soup, second amount of Cajun seasoning, oregano and rice. Stir well.
- Return chicken pieces to Instapot on top of rice and veggies.
- Set Instapot to Pressure Cook function for 8 minutes.
- After time is up, allow to naturally release for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Shred chicken pieces and stir to fully incorporate.
- Serve hot.