This is something I can remember my mother making… mainly around Christmas for cookie trays and such. But… in my opinion, anything butter tart can and should be made all year. I made these on Sunday for lunch box snacks. I am sure Chris will be the hero of the lunch room… again lol!
These are delicious, albeit sweet and much easier to make than actual butter tarts!
These are the ingredients I use to make them. I added the coconut because I had a bit extra from making my coconut macaroons. You can add raisins, nuts, whatever you like in your butter tarts!
You start by making the crust/bottom.
In the bowl of the stand mixer, mix together the cold butter/ margarine, icing sugar and flour.
Mix until it forms a nice soft dough that sticks together well.
Press dough into the bottom of a parchment paper lined 9 x 13 baking pan.
Bake crust at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking make the filling.
In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter/margarine, eggs, brown sugar, vinegar, vanilla and whatever you choose to add to the filling… in this case the coconut.
When the crust is done, pour the filling over it and then bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set. If it is not cooked enough they will be very runny.
Allow to completely cool before cutting into squares. I usually put mine in the fridge for about an hour before cutting.
Butter Tart Pan Squares
- For the crust:
- 1 cup cold butter/margarine
- 4 tbsp. icing sugar
- 2 cups flour
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup butter/margarine, melted
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- Raisins, nuts, coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- For the Crust:
- In bowl of stand mixer, mix together butter/ margarine, icing sugar and flour until a soft dough that sticks together well is formed.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- For the Filling:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter/margarine, brown sugar, eggs, vinegar, vanilla and add ins if using them.
- Pour over prebaked crust.
- Bake an additional 25 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Allow to completely cool (I put mine in the fridge for about an hour.
- Cut into squares.