Maple… a Canadian icon all on it’s own lol! Whenever I tell Kim I am baking anything maple I swear her eyes glaze over and the rest of the conversation is lost on her lol. I honestly think she would drink it straight from the bottle if no one was looking! While I am not quite the maple addict she is, I do enjoy these donuts when I make them! The fact they are baked instead of fried is a big bonus!
Here are my ingredients. I use “real” maple syrup… the imitation just doesn’t cut it once you have tasted the real stuff lol!
In the bowl of my stand mixer, I added the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder, whisking it together.
Next I put the eggs, buttermilk (I didn’t have any buttermilk so I used the lemon juice in the milk to substitute), melted butter/margarine, vanilla and maple syrup in a small bowl and whisked it together.
I added it to the dry ingredients and mixed until well blended.
I spooned the mixture into my lightly greased donut pan….
And baked them in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
I allow them to cool before removing them from the pan.
While they cool, I whisk together the icing sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and melted butter/margarine until smooth to make the glaze. (For some reason my icing sugar didn’t want to blend very well this time but it didn’t affect the taste)
I dipped the top of each donut into the glaze and set it back on a plate/pan to set.
Once the glaze has set I put them on a plate and just watch in wonder as they disappear faster than the time it takes to make them lol!
Maple Baked Donuts
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk with 2 tsp. lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup butter/margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. butter/margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease donut pan.
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter/margarine, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Add mixture to dry ingredients in bowl of stand mixer and mix until fully combined.
- Spoon into prepared donut pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to fully cool.
- For Glaze: In small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, icing sugar, cinnamon and melted butter/margarine until smooth.
- Dip tops of cooled donuts in glaze and place on plate/pan to set.
- Once set, plate them and enjoy!