That smell!!!! We eat them all year but I still find something “Fall” about the smell of homemade Cinnamon Rolls baking. It is almost like comfort food for your nose lol!
Cinnamon rolls are easier to make than you might think and taste so much better than those you pick up at the grocery store!
Here are my ingredients. You can leave out the “glaze” if you want but it does add to the flavour.
To make the dough for the cinnamon rolls, you start by placing the yeast in the bowl of the stand mixer with the water and milk (that I mix together and microwave for about 1 minute), then add the flour, sugar, melted butter/margarine, eggs and salt.
Mix until it forms a smooth, elastic dough and then knead it for about 5 minutes.
Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
Punch down the dough and roll into a large rectangle.
Brush the second amount of butter/margarine covering the whole rectangle before sprinkling it with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
Roll the rectangle up, jelly roll style, and cut into slices.
Place the slices in your greased or parchment paper lined baking pan.
Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes or so, until they fill out the pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 – 30 minutes, until browned and the cinnamon rolls are fully baked.
While they are cooling, I whisked together about 1 cup of icing sugar with a tbsp. of milk until smooth, and then drizzled it over the cinnamon rolls.
As you can see, 2 of the cinnamon rolls didn’t even make it to the glaze stage before they were being eaten lol!
Cut into individual rolls and enjoy!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp. butter/ margarine, melted
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter/ margarine
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. milk
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and water and microwave on high heat for about 1 minute.
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together water/milk mixture and yeast.
- Add flour, sugar, eggs, salt and melted butter/margarine.
- Mix until it forms a smooth, elastic like dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes, on low speed.
- Remove dough from stand mixer and place in greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and roll out into large triangle.
- Spread second amount of butter/ margarine on rectangle, making sure to get all of the dough rectangle.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough up, jelly roll style.
- Cut into slices and place in greased or parchment paper lined baking pans.
- Cover and allow to rise about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After second rising, bake cinnamon rolls at 350 degrees for about 25 – 30 minutes, until cinnamon rolls are browned on top and baked through
- In small bowl, whisk together icing sugar and milk to make glaze.
- Drizzle over cinnamon rolls.
- Slice into individual rolls and enjoy