For as far back as I can remember, this has been one of Dillon’s favourites. He always swore up and down he didn’t like anything with nuts in it, but he loves this loaf cake.
His grandmother used to make loaf after loaf of this each Christmas. I don’t make anywhere near that many loaves and I don’t think it should be relegated to just being eaten at Christmas…. so I make it all year round!
Here are the ingredients to make Date & Nut Loaf
The first thing you need to do is to chop your pitted dates, then place them in a large bowl with the boiling water, vegetable oil and baking soda.
Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
While the dates are soaking, add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix it to combine the dry ingredients.
Next place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of the stand mixer with the flour mixture and beat.
Next we add the dates when the soaking time is up and then the egg and chopped walnutss, mixing until just combined.
Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf pan.
Then let it bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Once fully cooked, slice and enjoy. It is great with butter, or even just on it’ own!
Date & Nut Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup chopped walnut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add chopped dates, vegetable oil, baking soda and boiling water.
- While dates are soaking, take the flour, baking powder and salt, mixing to blend.
- Add soaked dates (with water) to bowl of stand mixer and mix to fully combine.
- Add egg and chopped walnuts and continue mixing until just blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, until cooked through.