With the hot weather here already, it is nice to have a frozen treat or two ready to beat the heat. These popsicles are very flavourful and almost drip free which is great when making them for the little ones! I can remember my ex mother-in-law making these every summer for my kids and their cousins. The kids (and adults) loved them! It was that memory that prompted me to make them yesterday.
I also made my version of Iced Coffee yesterday, another great treat on a hot day!
I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have been getting into making my own cleaning products. It has been fun to experiment and even more so, knowing when I am cleaning I am not using any harmful chemicals.
I use cleaning strength vinegar for a lot of things but for some things, I like to go in other directions. I am going to make my own “Windex” in another post…. not very exciting but again, homemade and no chemicals.
I bought one of those hanging clothespins bags from the dollar store years ago. I am really surprised it has lasted as long as it did. When I was hanging clothes on the line last week I noticed that every time I put a clothespin back in the bag I could hear a little clunk noise…. I had a big hole in the bag and my clothespins were falling out into one of my gardens!!!
At first I was going to just buy another one seeing the last one lasted as long as it did but then decided I would just make one.
I used the old one as a pattern from the new one but you could just as easy make your own pattern. It is after all only rectangles with a circle on one to put the clothespins in and a small hanger to actually hang it. But I took the easy route and just used the old one.
As you may have guessed, I have a new vegetable garden…. albeit not a big one but I have one nonetheless lol! (It’s still a little bit messy because of digging and the soil that got on the grass around it but I still wanted to share the picture)
AND my lilacs are starting to bloom! They are my absolute favourite! What an awesome smell!
Yesterday Dillon helped me dig out a new garden for the vegetables I want to grow. Last year we tried to grow in some sort of felt raised garden bags. While it wasn’t too bad, they caused problems in the winter, holding snow up against the wall of the garage/shop and when it started to melt… guess where it went? Yep… in the garage.
This year I decided I wanted an actual garden instead of trying to find different ways to do raised gardens. Chris and I went out into the yard and decided where we wanted to put it and I called in the big guns… aka Dillon and his youthful strength lol… and we dug up the grass where the garden was going to be.
Here are a couple of pictures of the process. It took quite a few wheel barrow trips to get rid of the grass we dug up lol!
Once Dillon did the heavy work I mixed in some better soil and triple mix and was able to start planting!!!
This year we are growing tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, red onions and two kinds of lettuce! Hopefully I can keep them alive and thriving this summer so we can enjoy them. I think it will be so awesome to grow something my granddaughter can eat!!!
When I saw my mother-in-law last weekend she was asking me about using the overcast stitch on our (she bought the same machine I did because she really liked all the features that made me buy it lol). She said she used it on something but it didn’t turn out anywhere near how she expected it to.
I thought it might make a good post because there may be other people out there making the same mistake we did, or just wanting to see how the overcast stitch works/looks.
I told her that I had a tablecloth I needed to shorten and hem and that I was planning on using the overcast stitch function to do it. Now keep in mind that until my new sewing machine I had been sewing on one that was probably about 30 years old. It didn’t have any of the bells and whistles this one does lol. That machine’s overcast stitching consisted of my zigzag stitch lol!
The new machine, my Brother HE300, has a few overcast stitch options. The first time I tried it I lined the fabric edge up with the space in the presser foot and started to sew. Definitely not the “finished” look I wanted for my tablecloth. I couldn’t figure out at first what I was doing wrong.
This is what my tablecloth edge looked like doing it this way.
It wasn’t completely awful but it still wasn’t how I wanted it to look. I stopped stitching at that point trying to think of what I was doing wrong. Apparently…. and all of you expert sewers, don’t laugh at me lol…. I needed to let a bit of the fabric go into the space in the presser foot. This gave the presser foot and the little appendage (for lack of being able to think of another word lol) fold over the edge of the fabric and not only overcast as it’s supposed to but fold under and sew over the raw edge of the fabric, catching all of the loosening threads where it was already starting to fray.
The outcome was way better and definitely more what I was looking for on my tablecloth.
This is the picture of the edge after I used the presser foot properly (or at least proper enough that I have a nice tidy edge now)…
You can definitely see a difference. I am happy with how the edging turned out when I did the second, and hopefully proper time!
I also took a video of the presser foot/machine in progress using the overcast foot/stitch to send to my mother-in-law to show her how I made it work. I will include the video after this paragraph.
That was the lesson I learned to today on my new sewing machine!