I found this pattern through an online search and thought it would be fun to make for my granddaughter. This is another one of the sewing projects that have been in my to do pile for way too long. It was nice to finally have them sewn and ready to gift to her! I find it hard to force myself to do “regular” sewing when I can play with the embroidery function lol.
Because my granddaughter puts EVERYTHING in her mouth, I forgo putting eyes on these toys… one less hazard when everything seems to either taste great to her or aids with teething!
I also learned last week that my sewing machine has mending stitches. I found this out when I had to fix a pair of Chris’ work pants!
I have bits and pieces of fabric (now) in bins in the craft room. I spent most of Sunday in the craft room sewing. I have to say it was really nice not to have to lug the sewing machine to somewhere to set it up to use. Now I only have to go downstairs to the craft room and everything is right there where I need it and it can stay there!
Back to the purse toy lol…. I thought I could use up some of my scraps making some baby toys. This is the first of the toys I want to make.
(I bought one of those leather look storage benches to double as a toy box in the living room for my granddaughter and as a place for the nosy cats to lay and look out the window. When I put all the toy we already have for her in the new toy box, it was only half full!!! I texted Kim and told her that I was going to have to do some baby toy shopping so that the toy box wasn’t half full/empty.. depending on how you look at it. I decided to start by sewing some new toys instead…. for now at least)
I started off with two different pieces of fabric and a pile of ribbon I had laying around… and of course a bit of batting and a matching button that didn’t get in the picture.
The first thing I did was cut out a Purse shape with both fabrics.
And a rectangle of fabric that I would sew into a tube that would serve as the handle of the purse.
I lightly stuffed the tube/handle and folded in the edges, then put it aside until I needed it.
I pinned folded, 3 inch strips of ribbon around the base of the purse and ran a quick stitch around the base to hold the ribbon in place for when I attached the front to the back.
I laid the fabric pieces, right sides together, on a small piece of quilt batting and cut around the purse shape so it was the same size.
I sewed all the way around the outside, leaving a space for turning and then clipped the edges.
I turned it right side out and pressed it.
I stitched across the purse where the flap met the base of the purse and ran a stitch close to the edge all the way around making sure to close the opening I left for turning while I sewed.
I pinned and then sewed the handle to the purse, on the backside, just below where the flap meets the base of purse.
Then all I had to do was attach a pretty button to the flap and the little Tag Purse was done! It’s already been added to the new toy box!!!