When I saw my mother-in-law last weekend she was asking me about using the overcast stitch on our (she bought the same machine I did because she really liked all the features that made me buy it lol). She said she used it on something but it didn’t turn out anywhere near how she expected it to.
I thought it might make a good post because there may be other people out there making the same mistake we did, or just wanting to see how the overcast stitch works/looks.
I told her that I had a tablecloth I needed to shorten and hem and that I was planning on using the overcast stitch function to do it. Now keep in mind that until my new sewing machine I had been sewing on one that was probably about 30 years old. It didn’t have any of the bells and whistles this one does lol. That machine’s overcast stitching consisted of my zigzag stitch lol!
The new machine, my Brother HE300, has a few overcast stitch options. The first time I tried it I lined the fabric edge up with the space in the presser foot and started to sew. Definitely not the “finished” look I wanted for my tablecloth. I couldn’t figure out at first what I was doing wrong.
This is what my tablecloth edge looked like doing it this way.
It wasn’t completely awful but it still wasn’t how I wanted it to look. I stopped stitching at that point trying to think of what I was doing wrong. Apparently…. and all of you expert sewers, don’t laugh at me lol…. I needed to let a bit of the fabric go into the space in the presser foot. This gave the presser foot and the little appendage (for lack of being able to think of another word lol) fold over the edge of the fabric and not only overcast as it’s supposed to but fold under and sew over the raw edge of the fabric, catching all of the loosening threads where it was already starting to fray.
The outcome was way better and definitely more what I was looking for on my tablecloth.
This is the picture of the edge after I used the presser foot properly (or at least proper enough that I have a nice tidy edge now)…
You can definitely see a difference. I am happy with how the edging turned out when I did the second, and hopefully proper time!
I also took a video of the presser foot/machine in progress using the overcast foot/stitch to send to my mother-in-law to show her how I made it work. I will include the video after this paragraph.
That was the lesson I learned to today on my new sewing machine!